Monday, January 5, 2015

looking back

I can still remember everything about this day seven years ago...


Getting up and having my makeup and hair done. Getting ready with all my girls in the choir room of the church. I was three months pregnant. My dress was too big from all the weight I lost from morning sickness. I forgot my wedding jewelry. My girls looked beautiful. I was sick and had no voice to say my vows with.


 My soon-to-be father-in-law showed up in a tux with a bow tie on the advice of his son. The rest of the guys had on suits and ties. The best man had a black eye from being sucker punched the previous weekend. My dad helped the groom and groomsmen with their boutonnieres. My groom showed up hung over.


We were an attractive looking motley crew.


Joe cried when he saw me.


I cried the whole way down the aisle with my dad holding my arm.


Joe carried me over the threshold when we got back to our house for the reception.


I threatened him with the cake cutter if he smashed cake in my face.



The next year proved to be hell on Earth. We barely made it through alive, literally. During that year we welcomed our daughter into the world, Joe struggled with addiction, and our marriage was a hot mess. We thought we knew what we were doing. We were just kids.

We accepted Jesus into our hearts and our lives were flipped upside down.


For the first time we understood what love was.


God brought beauty from ashes.


Today, we celebrate seven years of marriage.


We praise Him for His faithfulness.


It is worth fighting for.


Happy Anniversary my love!


Thank you Lord!

"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." Lamentations 3:22-23





No comments:

Post a Comment