Saturday, March 2, 2013

Commend yourself?

A few nights ago I met with a sweet friend for fellowship. There were brownies, tea, but most importantly there was God's Word. We went over verses that encouraged us, convicted us, and some that gave us peace and hope. We went talked about our sins and how we fall short. How we want to strive to do better.

During this time I confessed I am prideful. It hurt to write that.

We went over 2 Corinthians 10:12. You can get your Bible. I'll wait.

"Not that we dare to classify or compare ourselves with some of those who are commending themselves. But when they measure themselves by one another and compare themselves with one another, they are without understanding."

Now, I don't know about you but it burned. You know the kind where someone makes that burning sound and touches something. Yeah, that one.

It's easy to fall in the trap of seeing someone else mess up and saying or thinking, "Whew! At least I don't do that!" Except for that fact there is no "grading" scale for sin. God sees all of them as bad. They separate us from Him. Just like there is no such thing as a "white" lie. Lies don't come in colors and sin is sin is sin. If you get my drift. That's why He sent Jesus. There was only One way to wipe us clean.

As humans we are all in the same boat. We are sinful. Our flesh rises up and sometimes (and sometimes is = to a lot some days) we let it win. 

We say dumb things.

We do dumb things.

We think dumb things.

We aren't better than one another. We lack understanding if we compare ourselves to ourselves. 

Skip down to 2 Corinthians 10:18 for me now.

"For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends."

Sometimes, I flatter myself. However, I am a sinner just like everyone else. The only thing I should be doing is making sure that God approves me. Living my life to bring Him glory. 

Soli Deo Gloria!

When those thoughts come I will revel in the greatness of my salvation, in the amazing power of His love, and the ways that I can promote Him so that God gets all the glory that He so rightly deserves!

In His Love,
Jennis




No comments:

Post a Comment